[Discuss] CLECs

The Right Way to run the telecom system, IMHO, would be to ?delaminate? it
(h/t David Weinberger). Have the ILECs be responsible for maintaining the
network infrastructure that shuttles bits from place to place, and let them
rent out that bandwidth to service providers, but forbid them from actually
providing any of those services themselves. Service providers then rent out
that bandwidth, build services on top of it (Internet access, Web hosting,
or what consumers think of as ?the phone company?) and then sell the
services to consumers.

Of course, in the current political environment, such a regulatory system
doesn?t have a snowball?s chance of passing, because nobody wants to be
holding the bag running a public utility that sells a commodity service,
and everyone wants the chance to sell high-margin services to consumers and
then make those margins even higher by taking advantages of monopoly.