[Discuss] Home Routers

On 05/10/2013 08:08 PM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just got RCN cable internet installed.  When I plug my laptop into the
> cable modem I get 50Mb down.  When I plug my Sonicwall TZ190 in and test
> from my laptop I get no more than 20Mb down.
>
> I'm thinking it's time to replace my TZ190, it's old, and kind of low end
> by today's standards.  I've gone through all of the settings and
> customization guides, and haven't been able to boost speeds.  I don't need
> anything super fancy, but you anyone recommend a good router (doesn't have
> to be wireless) for gaming and streaming that will allow me to make use of
> my new 50Mb download speeds?
I've dot a D-Link DIR-655 that has worked very well. I got it at
MicroCenter a few years ago with 2 rebates. The last Linksys router I
got died after about a year. At home I am more focused toward stronger
WiFisince the router is downstairs and my wife uses her laptop upstairs.
Other Linksys products that some friends have used were not very good.
One issue that you bring up is firewall since you are replacing a Sonic
Wall. Most of the home routers do a reasonably decent job, but are not
nearly as good in the firewall department of a system like Sonic Wall.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix