[Discuss] really odd GCC bug? under Ubuntu

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Irrelevant. What Bill was expecting was "file not found" which GCC
> passes over for optional include and library directories. What he got
> was the unexpected "permission denied" error and GCC failing.

Actually, I was expecting that GCC would treat EACCES and ENONET
identically.  i.e. Silently keep looking for the requisite files and
only failing
if it couldn't find them in its list of directories.  I admit that I
wasn't actually
thinking at the time of the exact value of errno.   I was thinking more
conceptually, but I still feel that this is bad behavior on the part of GCC.  I
in no way think this is a bug in the Linux kernel or default
filesystems.  I would expect the
exact same result as far as errno values are concerned for any default
configuration of any system which anyone claims to be "unix-like".   Just like
I would assume case sensitivity in filenames unless told otherwise.
Sure, it's possible
to use case insensitive filesystems with Unix systems; but it isn't
what I would assume.

Bill Bogstad