[Discuss] BLU Desktop GNU/Linux SIG Meeting - Learn Inkscape, Draw Freely - Weds, June 5, 2013

When: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:30PM

Location: Akamai, 8 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA ?

Directions
    http://www.akamai.com/html/about/driving_directions.html
    Also easily accessibly by T.

Notes

        1) Please note the location is different from our
           standard MIT meeting location.

        2) Akamai has generously agreed to provide space
           and 'free as in food' for this meeting.
           Thank you to our sponsor!
           http://www.akamai.com/

        3) We plan to adjourn the meeting a little
            earlier this month and invite anyone interested
            to join us for drinks at nearby Meadhall.

Summary

        Learn Inkscape, Draw Freely

Abstract

        Inkscape is a free software vector
        graphics editor. It competes
        with proprietary graphic editors
        such as Adobe Illustrator, which
        was recently moved to a forced
        monthly subscription model by
        Adobe:
        http://goo.gl/xMRTG (cnet.com)

        In this talk, Martin Owens, who
        is both a designer and Inkscape
        contributor, will teach us how
        to use Inkscape and explore its
        new powerful features.

        Designers, artists, those interested
        in design, as well as IT people
        who work with or support designers,
        are all encouraged to attend.

        Expect to Learn:
        -- What is Inkscape
        -- How to draw a logo in Inkscape
        -- How to trace artwork to create a
           vector image
        -- How to use Live Path Effects (LPE)

        We will reserve plenty of time
        for Q&A so that your specific
        questions about Inkscape
        can be addressed.

About Our Speaker

        Martin Owens (http://doctormo.org/)
        is a programmer, artist, teacher and
        community leader who has
        contributed to many FOSS
        projects. He is both a user and
        creator of the Inkscape software.

        Learn more about Martin and
        see some of his artwork by
        visiting the links below:
        http://doctormo.org/
        http://doctormo.deviantart.com/

        Learn more about Inkscape here:
        http://inkscape.org/

Transportation & Parking

        The Akamai office is a short walk from the Kendall
        Square T stop and other public transportation.

        Metered parking should be available near our
        location.

Calling All Educators

        We would love to have more teachers,
        professors and educators both in our
        audience and giving talks.

        If you know a teacher and would like
        to introduce him or her to free software,
        please invite them to a meeting.

        If you are a teacher and would like
        resources for your classroom or learn
        more yourself, we're here to help.

        If you would like to share your knowledge
        and experience by giving a talk or
        lightening talk, we'd love to arrange a
        meetup around your free software
        related topic.