[Discuss] gracefully shutdown guests

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Anderson
>
> It seems many people haven't heard of the built-in native
> virtualization technology on Linux and it's management stack as
> supported by Red Hat & developed and released first on Fedora.  It is
> called KVM for Kernel-based Virtual Machine,
*snip*

> If you are looking for the closest equivalent to a VirtualBox- or
> VMware-sytle desktop virtualization interface, try running
> virt-manager (called "Virtual Machine Manager" in the desktop menu) or
> a new GNOME 3 front-end called "Boxes" (though this is still fairly
> rough around the edges being so new).

Thanks, but no.  What I'm looking for is a way to shutdown fedora guest.  The host is not running kvm.  (Virtualbox.)  The options virtualbox hypervisor gives you are:  Power off, save state, acpi power button, acpi sleep button, and some other stuff.  Unfortunately, fedora guests ignore the acpi power button, and there doesn't seem to be any way to do anything about that.  At least ... Nothing obvious.

For the time being, if the guest has static IP, I have the host ssh into guest to give the shutdown command.  Otherwise, savestate.