[Discuss] newegg

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 02:46:34PM +0000, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> I've heard numerous complaints from people about newegg hard drive packing practice.  People complain about bubble wrap instead of official hard drive packing materials, but I don't have any philosophical objections to bubble wrap as long as the bubble wrap is thick and well secured, etc.  Recently, I ordered 3 drives.  They arrived with a single layer of bubble wrap (not taped or anything).  Some of the bubbles were popped.  One drive works, and the other 2 were DOA.
>
> I called newegg, requested replacements.  They shipped me 2 drives, billing $0, and gave me a prepaid shipping label.  Said I would only be charged if I fail to return the faulty drives.  So I returned them, no problem.  But then their RMA dept identified physical damage to the drives, shipped them back to me, and charged me for them.
>
> I've been round and round with them, but the most recent email says "We received one hard drive with dents and one with SATA-damaged. Any physical damages will void the Newegg warranty. Our RMA team cannot further process the RMA. Please take advantage of your end-user warranty and contact the manufacturer at 1-800-SEAGATE"
>
> They directed me to a FAQ, which seems to imply, they get this problem a lot.
>
> I have to say, I'm converted.  No more newegg.

Interesting. We have purchased hundreds of disks from NewEgg, in
quantities from 2 through a few dozen at a time. I've never had
one arrive in less than reasonable packaging -- drive in
antistatic bag, bag in foam or plastic antishock case, all
wrapped in bubblewrap, that in a box, plus peanuts if warranted.

I'm not saying you're wrong, simply that I haven't had that
experience.

-dsr-