[Discuss] Syncing Android phones directly

I asked this question a year or so ago, and I'm hoping to get a better
response this time  now that more people have Android phones.

I'm finally making the jump.  Probably next week or the week after I
will be purchasing a Samsung Galaxy S4 32GB through AT&T (opinions on
that phone welcome, opinions on A&T  are not).  I've researched it to
death, and the one thing I wish I had more real-world information on is
how people sync the contacts/calendar/notes/etc from their phone to
SOMETHING.  That something may end up being Outlook under Windows, but
of course something under Linux would be better.  Whatever I do, though,
I don't want the data going through Google servers, or to leave my
intranet at all.

There are a few programs out there that claim to do this (Keis,
CompanionLink, MyPhoneExplorer), but there are enough grumbles about
them I'm trying to get real-world information from people actually using
them.  I've asked on androidcentral and android forums, but I haven't
gotten any useful replies.

So what do you use?

Thanks.