[Discuss] Syncing Android phones directly

Tom Metro wrote:
> I tend to agree. If your hope is to run the stock Samsung ROM and still
> keep all your personal data out of the cloud, I think you'll be
> disappointed. (Though you'll likely have no idea what data is being
> leaked, unless you really go digging.)

With Android? Safest to assume "all of it". Plenty of applications use
Google's storage to sync their internal data across the account. Google
encourages this. You can't turn it off. The closest that you can get is
to turn off the baseband and wifi radios (airplane mode). The device
would be useless as a phone if you do that but your data won't go
anywhere. There's simply no other way around it. Android -- that is, the
Android hardware specifications -- /requires/ some kind of network
connectivity. If you don't want to go there then don't go anywhere near
there.

Same goes for iPhone. Apple has been pushing iCloud specifically because
Android's always connected philosophy is a serious threat to Apple's garden.

I don't know where Blackberry stands.

--
Rich P.