[Discuss] Effort to repeal Mass Tax on Software Services

I called my Rep. in the Mass. Legislature. He said he'd be willing to
consider a bill to repeal this tax, but he could use help figuring out
who else in the Legislature would support such a bill. I mentioned that,
as a software engineer, I participate in some software-related mailing
lists and forums. He suggested that I ask other Mass. residents on those
forums to call their legislators and ask if they'd support repealing
this tax. It's far more effective if one of their constituents calls
than if someone outside their district calls.

If you want to make a difference, please do the following:

 1.

    Make two phone calls - one to your Mass. State Representative and
    one to your Mass. State Senator.

    You'll almost certainly be passed off to a legislative aide.

 2.

    Explain to the aide:

     1.

        this is urgent

     2.

        this tax will devastate an industry that's one of the primary
        reasons that the Massachusetts economy isn't the basket case
        that many other states are

     3.

        you need the aide to schedule some time for you to talk directly
        to your legislator

 3. When you talk to the legislator, don't assume the aide has conveyed
    much of anything you said. Explain directly to your legislator that:
     1.

        this tax will devastate an industry that's one of the primary
        reasons that the Massachusetts economy isn't the basket case
        that many other states are

     2.

        ask your legislator if he/she would be willing to support a bill
        to repeal this tax before it destroys the Massachusetts economy

I told my legislator I'd keep track of which legislators are willing to
support a bill to repeal the tax and let him know. In order for me to do
that, I'd like to ask any of you who call your legislator to email me
the results of your phone call.

After you call your legislator, email me at: masstax at arlsoft.com
<mailto:masstax at arlsoft.com>
In the body of the email, please provide the following information:

 1.

    The legislator's name and title - i.e. Senator or Representative

 2.

    Did you speak directly to that legislator?

 3.

    If you didn't speak directly to your legislator, what's the name and
    job title of the person you did speak with?

 4.

    Legislator's willingness to support repeal: 1) yes - will support
    repeal, 2) unwilling to commit, 3) no - will not support repeal

                Mark Rosenthal