[Discuss] Effort to repeal Mass Tax on Software Services

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
greg at freephile.com> wrote:

> Gordon, what is your response to this new legislation?  I haven't heard
> arguments in support of it.
>
> I think most people, and virtually all people on this list, would view
> this tax as both unjust and counterproductive.  It certainly damages the
> tech sector of the MA economy.

"Unjust" is pretty rich, coming from a white guy complaining about taxes.
There are much greater miscarriages of justice accepted without comment or
complaint (and sometimes, even with approval!) on a daily basis by members
of this list.

In a world where we've accepted the idea of income tax, sales tax, and
business-profit-tax (there's probably a better word for this), it seems a
little farfetched to say that "software services" is the red line that
taxes can't cross.

There's a larger conversation to be had about taxation in general, the role
of government, etc., but that's even farther off-topic. :--)

Gordon