[Discuss] Why are all my hard drives slow on Ubuntu? (new computer)

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Barrett
>
> I get it home, turn it on, and ALL hard drives are slow, writing at about 1
> MB/second. This includes both internal and external drives: the internal
> SSD RAID (3ware 9750-4i card), an internal Western Digital Red (not on the
> RAID card), and external drives using USB 3.0, Firewire, and eSATA. This is
> on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (kernel 3.5). I also tested using Ubuntu Live CDs for
> 13.04 (kernel 3.8) and prerelease 13.10 (kernel 3.11), and the problem
> remained.

It might be tough to figure out exactly, but you're having some sort of hardware vs software compatibility problem.  Try removing all but the necessary hardware in the system, and then adding it back, piece by piece, to see if the problem begins when you add *this* piece of hardware.

Make sure you've done the ubuntu hardware driver installation thing.  You might need a proprietary driver.

I assume you're running 64bit ubuntu.  The problem might not exist on 32bit.  While you can't settle for 32bit, it might be worth testing, to see if the cause of the problem is related.

Try going into BIOS and tweaking some of the values there.  Disable unnecessary hardware, etc.

Apply firmware update for your motherboard, etc.