[Discuss] Why are all my hard drives slow on Ubuntu? (new computer)

Scott Ehrlich writes:
>How about the ata5 and ata6 links at just 1.5 Gbps?

Those are my DVD and Blu-Ray drives. dmesg says:

[1.237343] ata5.00: ATAPI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95, RN01, max UDMA/133
[1.238555] ata6.00: ATAPI: HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH16NS40, 1.00, max UDMA/100

>What drives are you seeing the slowest performance on?   A dmesg might
>reflect which ata drives.   May be the speed factor from that link.

Literally all the hard drives are running at about 1MB/sec under Ubuntu:

- internal Western Digital Red 3TB
- internal SSD RAID on 3ware 9750-4i card
- external USB3 drive
- external eSATA drive
- external Firewire drive

And they all speed up about 100x under Windows 7 or Knoppix. They are slow
only on Ubuntu.

>If you are dealing with sata, can you test one of the slow drives from
>whatever SATA port it is connect to (say the RAID card) and instead connect
>it to a non RAID motherboard port, or vice-versa?

I removed the RAID card entirely and just tested the Western Digital Red.
Still slow.

>Also, what firmware/BIOS level is the motherboard at and the RAID card?

Will check tonight. I think the RAID card is not relevant because I removed
it and the problem remained.

Thanks!

--
Dan Barrett