[Discuss] Encrypt Everything?

On 09/11/2013 09:31 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jay Kramer
>>
>> Google claims that they are going to encrypt gmail with a scheme that will
>> be very difficult to decrypt.
> Myth.
>
> The reality is that without the encryption keys, it's very difficult to decrypt.  But they wouldn't make it difficult for *themselves* to decrypt, or else they wouldn't be able to index or search your stuff for you.  Which are basic implied core technologies for google.
>
> Google has your keys.  Same problem I have entrusting anything private to dropbox.  Yes they have good security and strong encryption - except for the fact that they have my keys.
The main issue is that assuming you encrypt all your outgoing emails,
and most of your respondents encrypt email to you if someone with enough
compute power wanted to decrypt your emails they can do it. And,
essentially it comes down to the cost vs reward. So, the federal
government has the resources but very few criminal enterprises would
invest that much for us.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix