[Discuss] Printer recommendations sought

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> writes:

> On 09/18/2013 03:57 PM, Bill Horne wrote:
>> I'm seeking performance data and recommendations for mid-range laser printers.
>>
>> The organization I work for has been using "home" grade printers, but
>> they have a maximum life of around 30,000 pages, and I'd like
>> something more robust. Please provide any pointers to ratings,
>> durability info, etc.
>>
> The only printer brands I recommend are HP and Brother. Both support
> Linux. The HP Color LaserJet we had in our office was very
> reliable. The only problem we had was when we bought a third-party
> cartridge and it caused black lines on all the paper we
> printed. Solution we went back to HP toner cartridges and all was fine
> again.

We just bought a Xerox Phaser 6000DN.  It works fine (read: I've
configured it and used it) from Linux, Mac, and iDevices (via AirPrint).
On Linux I did have to install a custom PPD which I grabbed from a
working Mac.  But that seemed to be sufficient to get my Fedora 18
system to connect and print just fine.

I belive we paid somewhere between $250-400 for the printer.  The toner
cartridgges are said to last for ~5000 pages, +/-.

-derek