[Discuss] Comcast goes all encrypted video in Cambridge

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 01:58:14PM -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Anyone can tap the lines without Comcast knowing it. By encrypting the
> signals and controlling the decryption side they can lock out the moochers.
>
> At least, that's the idea, anyway.

That's part of the reason. The other part is that prior to encryption,
adding or removing a customer account required a truck roll to connect
or disconnect the drop from the pole. RCN used to estimate the truck
roll cost at $100-150 depending on the market.

Now you can move into a new house, sign up over the phone/web and get a
set top box in the mail a few days later to connect yourself. If all you
want is internet, you can go to Best Buy and pick up a cable modem to
bring home and run through their self-provisioning process.

When you stop paying because you move or because you're delinquent, they
can shut down your service instantly with very little cost. They are
changing things so they can just leave the drops connected all the time.

-b

--
life always has an unhappy ending, but you can have a lot of fun along the
way, and everything doesn't have to be dripping in deep significance.