[Discuss] iptables trouble

Hello,
	I'm trying to get iptables working on a Raspberry Pi running Kali and I keep getting the same error.  I've run out of ideas and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I can get this working.  It originally seemed like the Kali kernel left a few modules off so I custom baked a kernel and I went out of my way to try to include everything needed at least as a module.  I have a .config difference and it is long, so I will leave it off this email (at least for the time being).

This is the error I am getting:
root at kali:~# iptables -L
iptables v1.4.14: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I think I have all of the modules I need:
root at kali:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
nf_nat_ftp 952 0
iptable_nat 2408 0
nf_conntrack_ftp 4856 1 nf_nat_ftp
ipt_MASQUERADE 984 0
nf_nat 9818 3 nf_nat_ftp,ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat
nf_conntrack_ipv4 8756 3 nf_nat,iptable_nat
nf_defrag_ipv4 636 1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
nf_conntrack 43092 6 nf_nat_ftp,ipt_MASQUERADE,nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ftp, iptable_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4
ip_tables 8532 1 iptable_nat
x_tables 8776 3 ip_tables,ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat
ipv6 212924 12
leds_gpio 1648 0
led_class 1788 1 leds_gpio

Any ideas?