[Discuss] Fwd: malware in bios?

I was reading this article back when Ars first posted it and I figured
the obvious: his media is infected. And then I get to the "epiphany":

> immediately infected as soon as he plugged one of his USB drives into
> it. He soon theorized that infected computers have the ability to
> contaminate USB devices and vice versa.

To which my reaction was, "well, duh!" This was old news when MBR
viruses on 5.25" diskettes were all the rage.

IP over sonics? Acoustic coupler modem: a speaker, a microphone, and a
modulator/demodulator to modulate and demodulate digital signals over
analog sound waves.

TCP/IP stack? Cisco published a complete IPv6 stack that fits in about
12KB. It will easily fit on the EFI system partition on every
UEFI-compliant device ever made and ever to be made.

The only relevant "new" thought I have on it is: welcome to the UEFI
monoculture.

--
Rich P.