[Discuss] Cold Boot Attacks on Encryption Keys

Kent Borg wrote:
> For example, say you are renting some physical space over which you have
> some significant control. Be it a cage or maybe just a cabinet, you
> should be able to have some intrusion detection (booby traps) and use
> that shut things down--including deleting keys.

Maybe. If the management sees you installing and bypassing those booby
traps on the security camera footage?

> One catch is that if you want high availability you had better have
> redundancy across multiple co-los and your software design had better be
> designed to handle such outages.

But then you have to trust two different colo facilities. This kind of
behavior is not conducive to security.

Which brings me back around. If you're thinking of ways of how to keep
the colo facility personnel or other intruders out of your cage then you
shouldn't be using a colo facility.

--
Rich P.