[Discuss] Hybrid drives and Linux?

Richard Pieri wrote:
> Seagate's hybrid drives aren't optimized for any particular access
> patterns. That would be counterproductive after the boot sequence is
> completed since different users' patterns are different. They are more
> aggressive with caching reads immediately after power resets...

I've had one of these in my main laptop/desktop for the past year. It
was instilled coincident with upgrade Ubuntu by several versions, so it
is hard to do a fair comparison, but the most noticeable different is
faster boot up. So that correlates with what Rich says.

What I read prior to buying was that the speed improvement wasn't that
dramatic. It was a minor cost premium, so I went for it.

For my usage patterns, disk speed impacts my usage probably 4th behind
CPU, RAM, and video acceleration. (I tend to boot rarely, and have
several long running, memory hungry apps running.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA