[Discuss] suggestions for contracting work?

In 2001 the company I work for as a Sr Systems Engineer went bankrupt (our
division was the only one making money).  Customers called me asking if I
would still do work for them.  I said yes if they cut the checks to me.  In
the 12 years I have been in business most have been good years.

Become a company.  I have two employees, me and my wife who does the
books.  I work with other small companies like myself.  I use them job by
job, that way I don't pay for talent to do nothing while I hunt for the
next job.  I stay away from "1099" workers because then I inherit more
paperwork, like workmen's comp insurance and a host of other rules I don't
need/want.  I view someone that takes the effort to be incorporated as
serious.

Pick a name, buy a domain and set up a web site and email.  Nothing screams
amateur like @gmail.com or @yahoo.com.

I only do work for businesses.  When you fix a printer for a home user,
then three weeks later the monitor dies, "It was something you did."  I
don't need/want those problems.

Just as I use other companies for work, I do work for other companies.
Some small and some are national.  They don't paying for talent to do
nothing while hunting for the next job.  I let them be more flexible.

I sell services only and partner with other companies to sell the hardware
and software.  This way there is no sales tax and no inventory to worry
about.  I recommend to the customer the best product for their needs at the
best price.  And I don't sell a $50,000 piece of gear that the customer
decides or can't pay for that I am on the hook for, and can only resell as
used equipment for at a price of $35,000.  For a net loss of $15,000.

I network.  When I get a call from a client and they ask for me to do work
I can't do I send them to another company that can.  I don't make money
doing that, but I am remembered by both for doing the right thing.  And it
comes back to you sometimes it the form of more business and referrals.

-

Thank you God for putting unpleasant things in my life, sometimes it helps
me see things I would otherwise not see and gives me courage to act.

*Bob Dunphy*