[Discuss] rsnapshot vs. rdiff-backup

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> scheduling in cron. At work we had a WD MyBook which is a very, very
> slow device. Our first backup took days. (The WD was connected to the
> same switch as our NAS). I also had to schedule the rsnapshot backups
> along with an offsite backup to our New York Office. The one thing I

That's the tedious aspect of it. rsnapshot isn't designed for sequential
operations. Scheduling that can be tedious.

> is current. Also, rsnapshot can be used for Windows systems. If rsync is
> run on a Unix/Linux file system, such as Cygwin, you do get the
> advantage of hard links.

Well... sort of. My experience replicating hard and sybolic links
between NTFS and POSIX file systems has been inconsistent. That's not
something that I would care to rely upon for a backup system. Cygwin
doesn't handle NTFS permissions all that well to begin with, and
rsnapshot does nothing to preserve ACLs which limits its utility as a
backup system in a mixed or complex environment.

--
Rich P.