[Discuss] rsnapshot vs. rdiff-backup

Mike Small wrote:
> Does btrfs fit in here somewhere? I was using DragonFlyBSD for awhile,

Not as such, no. File system and logical volume snapshots are not
backups. They're snapshots.

> Also, apparently rsync itself has a --link-dest feature which maybe
> can be used to accomplish at least some of what rsnapshot does for you,
> you know, for the minimalists?

rsnapshot rotates replicas so that the <foo>.0 directory is always the
most recent replica at that time level (yearly, monthly, weekly, daily,
hourly). rsync can't do that without a wrapper -- which is what
rsnapshot really is.

--
Rich P.