[Discuss] what news do you read?

Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> So what do you read?

I don't. :-)

When it comes to general news, I find I don't need to expend any effort
to pick it up. I keep my cable box parked on 24-hour news channel NECN,
and get a small sampling of it before I power on my DVR. I supplement
that's with some Greater Boston (WGBH), old-school paper edition Boston
Sunday Globe, and occasional visits to WickedLocal.com when a local
election is pending.

The bulk of my tech news I get from Tech News Today (twit.tv), as I can
run it on a secondary monitor while I work. I also pluck articles from
my Twitter feed, and occasionally use a few different RSS aggregators on
my tablet. Surprisingly after all these years, Slashdot is still a quick
way (vi RSS, if you avoid the comments) to cover a lot of news, as they
have some of the best summaries.

The Linux Today email newsletter (the remnants of the "Linux Magazine")
still seems to link to a lot of interesting Linux-related content, and
an ever increasing number of hardware hacking articles.

Earlier this year when I set up the YouTube app on XBMC, I started to
discover that there's more than silly cat videos to be found there. :-)
There are actually a bunch of professionally and semi-professionally
produced daily tech news programs there. Most of the twit.tv shows are
available there (though I consume them through other channels), in
particular the 4 minutes of headlines from TNT gets published to their
main channel. "90 Seconds on The Verge" is usually a decent
representation of the day's top headlines, if you're looking for super
brief coverage. But this is clearly an emerging medium, as I've seen a
few sources disappear, and am trying out a bunch of others that I
haven't used long enough to recommend.

I'd still like to find a show covering PC hardware that isn't aimed at
gamers. Even shows that don't claim to be, spend most of their time on
overclocked, water-cooled, high-end gaming rigs.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA