[Discuss] how to manage tablets?

I know that mac server, now built into standard OSX, has features to manage
ipads.  This is what you would use to administer them in a large
environment.  we did some testing of mac server (snow leopard), to manage
mac clients in the office.  but i have never used it extensively or with
ipads in particular.  my understanding is the features in mac server would
allow you to bypass the apple store and control apps on the devices.  If
you have any newer osx system you can test it out, then invest in mac
mini's as needed.

now if you are looking to leave the devices open for users to install what
ever they want, something like prepaid or something similar would be an
option.  you will not find much enterprise level support with such open
standards.

as for android google apps for business (or education) has similar
capabilities, and can manage ipads to a lesser degree.