[Discuss] Dev Ops - architecture (local not cloud)

I get 100MB/s sustained writes with desktop class disks and 80MB/s
sustained writes with notebook disks (3Gb/s devices; I don't have any
6Gb/s yet). Even a relatively slow SATA 1.5Gb/s disk should get you at
least 50MB/s throughput.

GigE without jumbo frames caps at about 80MB/s sustained transfer. Jumbo
frames offer up to a 50% throughput improvement for traffic like NFS so
you're looking at up to 120MB/s sustained throughput. That will put you
ahead of consumer grade local disk performance. You do need network
infrastructure that supports GigE jumbo frames; most consumer grade
equipment does not.

--
Rich P.