[Discuss] cgi-bin

tom metro writes:
> It would seem somewhere in your config file, the URI
> /cgi-bin/ is being mapped to /usr/lib/cgi-bin. I don't see
> that in your quoted portion, so you might want to poke
> around some more. (grep for /usr/lib and cgi-bin in
> http.conf and other files in /etc/apache2/conf.d.)

indeed, in /etc/apache2/conf-available/serve-cgi-bin.conf,
(linked to /etc/apache2/conf-enabled), to wit:

  # conf-available/serve-cgi-bin.conf.0

  <IfModule mod_alias.c>
	  <IfModule mod_cgi.c>
		  Define ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN
	  </IfModule>

	  <IfModule mod_cgid.c>
		  Define ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN
	  </IfModule>

	  <IfDefine ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN>
		  ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
		<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
			  AllowOverride None
			  Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
			Require all granted
		  </Directory>
	  </IfDefine>
  </IfModule>

  # vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

now why would they do that -- out of the blue -- ugh?  i
duly replaced it with:

# conf-available/serve-cgi-bin.conf.1

<IfModule mod_alias.c>

	<IfModule mod_cgi.c>
		Define ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN
	</IfModule>

	<IfModule mod_cgid.c>
		Define ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN
	</IfModule>

	<IfDefine ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN>
		ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/
		<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
			AllowOverride None
			Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
			Require all granted
		</Directory>
	</IfDefine>

	<IfDefine ENALBLE_USR_LIB_CGI_BIN>
		ScriptAlias /moylan/cgi-bin/ /var/www/moylan/cgi-bin/
		<Directory "/var/www/moylan/cgi-bin">
			AllowOverride None
			Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
			Require all granted
		</Directory>
	</IfDefine>

</IfModule>

# vim: syntax=apache ts=4 sw=4 sts=4 sr noet

now everything works!  the file
/etc/apache2/conf.d/httpd.conf seems now superfluous -- i
removed it.  as usual, i just stumble around 'till i fine
something that works.

> it struck me as wrong that you were using both ScriptAlias and a
> Directory block setting ExecCGI, but it's been a while since I used
> ScriptAlias (rarely used in modern web apps).

undoubtedly you're right, but this is what they had, and
things now work.  it's tedious to check out variations since
one needs to reboot between changes.

thanks for all your help.
ole dan

j. daniel moylan