[Discuss] first time build of GIT server

On 01/30/2014 09:34 AM, John Malloy wrote:
> Thanks for the threads on the Subversion topic.
>
> We are trying to test converting to GIT and are testing out the
> functionality.
>
> We are very new to GIT.
>
> we have a dev server, but we installed GIT on another server (for testing
> purposes).
>
> We cannot see how the web functionality works with this and cannot seem to
> get the processes to make this work at all.

I haven't tried using git's default web interface (gitweb) in a long
time, but if you're willing to spend an hour or two to get set up, I've
been very happy with GitLab (http://gitlab.org/), which is kind of like
a self-hosted Github or BitBucket.

You'll need to get your team to use SSH keys, but that's standard
practice for most git management systems (e.g. gitolite).

If you're willing to do remote hosting for the time being, BitBucket
(https://bitbucket.org/) allows private repositories. That'll get you
going and hold your hand through the basics of git. If and when you
switch to gitlab, it's just a matter of redirecting your remotes.

> Should I install GIT on the same DEV server?

Git should be installed on any system you want to have a repository on.

> We also use NetBeans IDE, and want to integrate it with GIT.
>
> Our folks are just now upgrading to NetBeans  7.4 (latest)   (I am new
> to NetBeans as well).
>
> Are there sources of help/training on this out there?

No experience with NetBeans, but this shows up with a quick search:
https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/ide/git.html