[Discuss] first time build of GIT server

We cannot see how the web functionality works with this and cannot seem to
> get the processes to make this work at all.

gitosis and the following article are the basis of what I used to setup Git
repos at Harvard
http://scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way/

There are other web frontends for git repos (for example, kernel.org uses
cgit http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/), but I found gitosis and the method
described above to be very good.

> Should I install GIT on the same DEV server?

I like the idea of maintaining separation of concerns in IT infrastructure,
but I would need to know more to figure out whether it makes sense to make
your dev server also the repo server.

> We also use NetBeans IDE, and want to integrate it with GIT.
>
> Our folks are just now upgrading to NetBeans  7.4 (latest)   (I am new
> to NetBeans as well).

See
https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/ide/git.html
https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/ide/git_nb_ssh_screencast.html