[Discuss] protecting kids online

On 02/06/2014 01:08 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> A healthy dose of respect combined with instruction in how to use the
> tools -- like how to specify useful search terms -- will do far more
> to keep your kids safe from harm than any padded box could ever manage.

Which means that an introduction to web search engines is best had in
the lap of a patient, wise, and technically savvy parent.  On the
parent's computer.  With the parent in control and taking suggestions
from the child and discussing them and why one might be better than
another, and teaching skepticism on how to interpret the results.

Sounds complicated.  Sounds like something that a ~little~ kid isn't up
to.  Sounds like no web browser at all for the little girl who is just
looking for dolls to print and color in.

Web browsers scare me and I figure I am in a rather elite sliver of the
population when it comes to understanding the risks.  They are not the
starting point for a young child.

-kb

P.S.  Know those t-shirts that say "No, I will not fix your computer"?
Well, maybe we need "No, I will not take responsibility for your child's
safety when using technology or when online", but I guess it is even
more annoying than the other t-shirt, and doesn't really fit the t-shirt
medium.