[Discuss] [Position-available] Linux Sysadmin position at NEU in Boston

To post your own position-available or position-wanted
message, please follow the procedure at:
http://blu.wikispaces.com/job+posting+policy

Linux Systems Administrator Position (full-time)
Northeastern University College of Computer and Information Science
Boston, MA

*** Who Do We Want to Hire?

We're looking for a well rounded Linux administrator to join our team
in a full-time position. This person's primary responsibility will be
to administer and evolve our Linux infrastructure and the services it
provides using sysadmin/devops best practices. We're currently an
Ubuntu/Puppet shop. Our Linux infrastructure runs the standard sets
of services you would expect (DNS, mail, web, LDAP, etc) and is back-
ended by NetApp and Nimble served storage connected over a largely
Cisco network. We are currently exploring being able to burst some of
our workloads up to public cloud providers (AWS, etc). The ideal
candidate will have experience with all of the above so they can
immediately start contributing to our group. Similarly, we take on
new challenges as needed by the College so having a good generalist
"I can learn anything" mindset is key for long-term success in the
job. Our group and this position also provides direct support to our
user population (in person, email, etc.).

*** What Do You Have to Know/Be?

Advanced knowledge/experience in Linux infrastructure administration
(Ubuntu), general system administration knowledge and experience,
general computer security knowledge, programming skills related to
system administration automation, excellent communication skills
(for user support), architectural thinking, and professional
planning all required.

Minimum of 3-5 years of experience with Linux systems administration
in medium to large computing infrastructures, preferably with some
experience in a research-intensive environment is required.
Bachelor?s degree in technology related major is required.

*** About Us

This position is part of the Northeastern University College of
Computer and Information Science's Systems Group, a team of
individuals that take great pride in creating and administering the
state-of-the-art computing and networking infrastructure crucial to
our College's success. Our College's infrastructure supports a 2300+
user population including faculty, staff, and students. Our computing
environment is optimized for the teaching and research needs of the
College and as a result we run many of our own core services that
must integrate well with the resources provided and supported by the
central IS organization. It is common for us to be in the vanguard of
new technology at Northeastern University.

*** Why You Would Want To Work Here

It's an academic environment with all of the significant perks that
entails (e.g. tuition reimbursement, casual dress and happy work
environment, working with students, training/conferences, etc.) For a
list of benefits, see http://www.northeastern.edu/hrm/benefits/index.html.

We're also really into seeing what we can do to further the field of
system administration (do research, present papers at conferences,
write books, serve on the USENIX and LOPSA boards, mentor student
sysadmins, etc.). We work in a lovely building on Huntington Ave in
Boston, MA accessible via two different MBTA lines.

It's a good gig.

*** Sounds Great, How Do I Apply?

Candidates Only, please apply at https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/28381.

If you have questions about the job, please feel free to email
linuxadm-hire at ccs.neu.edu.

We are not looking for contact from recruiters at this time (that
address will go away after this candidate is hired, so please don't
add it to your contact list even if your horoscope says that some day
you'll find the perfect candidate for us).

Thanks for taking the time to read this ad and consider working at CCIS.