[Discuss] Why use Linux? (back to original question)

> markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> SSH does not do this on Mac easily. Yes, if you configure the
>> bastardized
>> X server that you can get for Mac, you might be able to get it to work,
>> but not with all programs.
>
> XQuartz is genuine X.Org. There's nothing bastardized about it, and all
> X11 applications work over the SSH tunnel just like they do on Linux.

The language mapping is typically difficult to get right and not all Mac
programs will render to X11.

>> Virtual Machines have changed the way we look at service environments.
>
> Doesn't change the fact that I've never needed to use QEMU on Macintosh
> and when I needed to make it work on Linux it was an abject failure.

I find that amazing and I question your truthfulness at this point. I have
been using QEMU and KVM for years for web services, software development,
and everything. Hell I have a Windows XP VM for turbotax.

Lots of people use QEMU/KVM. Its networking sack is just as good as the
commercial VMware package. With virt-manager, it really is point and
click. Its great.

>> I have, many times and I see a whole lot of HFS+ does not support sparse
>> files, use UFS and a lot of UFS is no longer supported.
>>
>> I don't believe you.
>
> Then you're deliberately missing the point. OS X does sparse file systems.

Please provide me a link because I know people who need this on a mac.

HPF does not support sparse files and UFS has not been available for a
couple years now. So, my colleagues are doing work on a Linux VMs on their
Macs because we have been unable to get sparse files to work on the Mac.
Even Apple support claims you can't do this.

Please supply a link, it would be helpful.