[Discuss] Why NOT use Linux?

On 02/13/2014 10:07 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> My top three:
>
> The state of desktops on Linux is terrible.

Granted I'm picking just one sentence out of several paragraphs but this
one got to me.

I have been running gnu/linux for my main desktop at home and at work
for many years and I am very happy with it.  Granted I flipped out when
Red Hat briefly abandoned the desktop (I was a paying customer) and
started fedora.  But I jumped to Debian / Ubuntu and haven't looked
back.  It's subjective I suppose.  Nevertheless my system is stable,
fast, and secure.  It generally looks and acts as I desire.  It seems to
have no more issues than competitors.  Maybe less.

Here's an exercise for you.  Try installing iis and sql server on an ms
box.  Compare it to your experience with linux.  Size of the files, ease
of set up, time saved, features, cost...  Well linux just blows windows
away imho.

Another benefit is that it works just like my servers at terminal.  So
I'm constantly learning more even if I'm not trying to.

I absolutely love gnu/linux on the desktop.  So much better than it used
to be and constantly getting better.  I'm totally loving Steam right now!

So "why not use linux"?  IDK.  YMMV.

- Eric