[Discuss] Why NOT use Linux?

Martin Owens wrote:
> I disagree with with the poisonous gentleman. This is just yet more
> deliberately negative opinion dressed up as fact.

Read this:

> I used to be upset when gnome developers decided it was "too
> complicated" for the user to remap some mouse buttons. In gnome3,
> the developers have apparently decided that it's "too complicated"
> to actually do real work on your desktop, and have decided to make
> it really annoying to do.
>
> Here's an example of "the crazy": you want a new terminal window. So
> you go to "activities" and press the "terminal" thing that you've
> made part of your normal desktop thing (but why can't I just have it
> on the desktop, instead of in that insane "activities" mode?). What
> happens? Nothing. It brings your existing terminal to the forefront.
>
> That's just crazy crap. Now I need to use Shift-Control-N in an old
> terminal to bring up a new one. Yeah, that's a real user experience
> improvement. Sure.
>
> I'm sure there are other ways, but that's just an example of the
> kind of "head up the arse" behavior of gnome3. Seriously. I have
> been asking other developers about gnome3, they all think it's
> crazy.
>
> I'm using Xfce. I think it's a step down from gnome2, but it's a
> huge step up from gnome3. Really.

Linus Torvalds wrote that on Google+ a couple of years ago. If it's
negative opinion dressed as fact then it's an opinion that I share with
some very high-profile people.

That said, both KDE 4 and Gnome 3 have gotten better. They still lack
the polish of even Windows 7. Yeah, I do mean that. Windows 7 has some
rough edges but it's quite usable. I'll take it over any of the big 3
Linux desktops. In fact, I did. I've been using Windows 7 as my primary
desktop environment for about 3 years, now.

> Richard, you obviously don't like Linux or Free Software; what are
> you doing on this list at all except being a troll.

I don't dislike Linux. What I dislike is the mentality that Free
Software is inherently superior to everything else by dint of being Free
Software. That's crap. Software is a tool. I want my tools to work. I
want them to be reliable. I don't want them to break under stress. I
don't want them to be more difficult to use than the job at hand. If a
non-Free tool is superior to the Free one then I'll use it because it
works better. The license is irrelevant.

--
Rich P.