[Discuss] CIFS Usage

I am in the process of updating my client machines to
Fedora20. I set up a samba server back in the early 2000's
version 2.6. I am now running SL linux 6.1 with samba
version 3.6. The client is running Fc20 with CIFS version
2.2. selinux=0.

I implemented the means for users to mount their server
shares to their home directories using the mount.cifs
command then part of the samba-client package. This via a
script that tested the server availability, created the
mount point and mounted the share using a credentials file.

Five years ago the samba folks decided that user mounts
using mount.cifs setuid was insecure and they disabled the
feature. I have been able to keep using this feature on my
client machines up to Fc14 by copying the mount.cifs and
umount.cifs from the package distributed in Fc10. In the
mean time the CIFS folks have made it possible to use
mount.cifs setuid again with a corresponding entry in fstab.

I have not been able to get this feature to work
successfully, (not ask for password,  use credentials), per
their documentation and am asking if anyone on the BLU list
has had any experience with this?

Below is some output from my attempts with comments.

# Lines preceded with # are my comments. Lines preceded with
$ are user command lines.

# Problem, cifs will not recognise user credentials file
when mount.cifs is setuid.

# UID's are not the same between server and client.

# Using sudo below is successful but the mount is owned by
root. Files and subdirectories are owned by UID of local
user on server so access is limited.

$ sudo /usr/sbin/mount.cifs //sambaserv/k-rdat ~/k-rdat/ -v
-o credentials=/home/jbk/.samba/.jbk
domain=kr
mount.cifs kernel mount options:
ip=10.251.227.4,unc=\\sambaserv\k-rdat,user=jbk,,domain=kr,pass=********

# With mount.cifs setuid as below I am asked for my password
as if no credential file is submitted. Furnishing the
password the share is mounted owned by me and my group as
well as all the files and subdirectories.

$ /usr/local/sbin/mount.cifs //sambaserv/k-rdat ~/k-rdat/ -v
-o credentials=/home/jbk/.samba/.jbk
Password for jbk@//sambaserv/k-rdat: ***********
mount.cifs kernel mount options:
ip=10.251.227.4,unc=\\sambaserv\k-rdat,uid=501,gid=501,user=jbk,pass=********

# Using the samba client utility I am able to visit the
share on the server using my credentials file as shown below.

$ smbclient //sambaserv/k-rdat -d 3 -A ~/.samba/.jbk
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows
limit (16384)
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/etc/samba/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
added interface enp0s25 ip=10.251.227.9 bcast=10.255.255.255
netmask=255.0.0.0
Client started (version 4.1.3).
tdb(/var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not
open file /var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb: Permission denied
tdb(/var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not
open file /var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb: No such file or directory
tdb(/var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not
open file /var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb: Permission denied
tdb(/var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not
open file /var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb: No such file or directory
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
sambaserv<0x20>
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
sambaserv<0x20>
resolve_wins: WINS server resolution selected and no WINS
servers listed.
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name sambaserv<0x20>
tdb(/var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not
open file /var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb: Permission denied
tdb(/var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb): tdb_open_ex: could not
open file /var/lib/samba/gencache.tdb: No such file or directory
Connecting to 10.251.227.4 at port 445
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=42)
got OID=1.3.6.1.4.1.311.2.2.10
got principal=NONE
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x608a8215
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
Domain=[KR] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.9-167.el6_5]
smb: \> exit

# fstab entry for share below.

//sambaserv/k-rdat /home/jbk/k-rdat    cifs    user 0 0

end of output

--
Jim KR
jbk at kjkelra.com