[Discuss] getting a USB modem working with Linux

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> Linux drivers:
> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/dgc/install.php

That looks like a good lead. That site has a list of USB device IDs that
are known to use the Conexant chipset:
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/dgc/index.php

This users is running Ububntu 12.04, and possibly has already tried
installing the same driver from a disk supplied with the model. (They
said the modem came with a driver means for Ubuntu 9.x, and that's what
this site has.)

According to:
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/dgc/downloads.php
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/dgc/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php

they only have packages built for Ubuntu 9.x and earlier versions
(2.6.31 and earlier kernel), and they advise that the build needs to
exactly match the kernel version.

I checked the Ubuntu repositories, but I didn't turn up anything for
"conexant" or "dgcmodem" (the name of the package for the driver). I
also checked launchpad.net for PPAs, and didn't find one, but there was
someone else asking a question about installing one of these drivers on
12.04, and it not working:

No solution offered.

The alternate is to download the source package:
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/dgc/archive/dgcmodem-1.13/dgcmodem_1.13_i386.deb.zip

and rebuild it:

Then install it with "sudo dpkg -i file..."

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
The Perl Shop, Newton, MA, USA