[Discuss] AeroFS

On 04/19/2014 05:23 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> If the encryption is done properly, and can be verified, it doesn't
> matter where your bits are stored.

Yes, but...

Two quibbles:

First quibble applies to all encryption and information security: Is the
rest of the system sound? If your keys are poor, if your end-point
computers have spyware installed on them, if there is a micro-camera
mounted over the keyboard where you type sensitive stuff, if your foe
resorts to rubber-hose cryptanalysis, etc. Nothing new here, nothing
special about clouds here, but these points matter, and don't forget
them when analyzing your circumstance.

Second quibble: metadata. Even if the bad guys never decrypt your data,
just by doing traffic analysis they might learn a lot.

For example, how much data gets read and written, from what IP address,
when. And after that data has been written by a computer in, say,
General Electric, is that same data read a few hours later by a computer
in, say, someone basement? Is that about the same amount of data that is
then sent in an unencrypted e-mail (a PDF of financials?) from that
basement computer to a third computer, detailing some insider
information and how many shares to sell? Even if the data encryption is
never broken and keys never leak, it might not matter. Someone watching
the comings and goings might figure out plenty.

Kinda like watching late night weekend pizza deliveries to the Pentagon
as a way to know when something big is about to happen.

Not that Tom said anything wrong, I just had to interject my two-cents.

-kb