[Discuss] Upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04...can't connect to wifi with rtl8723ae driver

http://www.ubuntuask.com/q/answers-rtl8723ae-dirver-problem-ubuntu-13-04-289414.html

This link MIGHT help.  RealTek devices work for me but they always generate
issues whenever I upgrade if I remember right.  Best choice for the long
run is get a non RT NIC that is on the supported list.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro+blu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Randy Cole wrote:
> > Sees the router, keeps trying but never connects.
>
> Could be many things. WiFi seems to offer woefully inadequate
> diagnostics for the connection and authentication process.
>

> > Can I install the module(s) from one of the old kernels, or will that
> cause
> > a crash?
>
> My understanding that is compiled modules are not portable across
> kernels. There may be qualifiers on that, such as it'll work, as long as
> the ABI hasn't changed.
>

> > Anybody got any ideas?
>
> Assuming there aren't alternate driver packages that work with your
> interface, I'd seek out the upstream project responsible for the driver,
> see if there is a newer version, and compile it for your current kernel.
>
>  -Tom
>
> --
> Tom Metro
> The Perl Shop, Newton, MA, USA
> "Predictable On-demand Perl Consulting."
> http://www.theperlshop.com/

><> ... Jack

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate" -
Henry J. Tillman
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"a nanosecond is the time it takes electrons to propigate 11.8 inches" - "
- http://youtu.be/JEpsKnWZrJ8
"Life is complex: it has a real part and an imaginary part." - Martin Terma