[Discuss] SSD drives vs. Mechanical drives

On 5/5/14 11:47 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Kent Borg wrote:
>>   - Flash can die with no warning and no recourse.
> Any medium can fail with no warning. Good backups have always been the
> go-to recourse for these occurrences.
While it's true that any medium can fail with no warning, if your data's
on a spinning magnetic platter, the most likely modes of failure do not
destroy all the data on the platter.  If the bearings or motor fail and
prevent the platter from spinning up.  There are data recovery shops who
will open your drive in a clean room, install your disk's platter in a
different disk housing, and make you a copy if all your data.  Or, worst
case, the read head comes in contact with the platter and scrapes off
some of the magnetic emulsion.  In that case, although data on the
track(s) close to the head crash is irretrievably lost, most of the
tracks are still readable, and a data recovery shop will be able to
retrieve some of your data.  It's not cheap, but it's doable.

To the best of my knowledge there are no workarounds when a flash drive
fails.  If you know of any, I'd be very interested to hear about them.

    Mark R.