[Discuss] SSD drives vs. Mechanical drives

That is the difference between 'oh damn' backup protection (missing or
corrupt file or two)
and 'oh sh%*' full restore protection.

Fastest full restores are from system images in my experience, second is
from 'build a new system'
then restore the data' scenario's.

Just a few missing or corrupt files can be handled easily
with something like crashplan (even backing up to secondary drives
regularly, or to another
system on your network, or a friends network, all that without paying $$ to
crashplan).
I restored 3 files I deleted accidently a few days ago this morning.  Easy
peazy.

I have done image backups before.  Good for mission critical things that
must get running
fast after hardware failure.  I like the idea of images for 'base systems'
and dynamic data
is restored from regular large scale backups.  Pretty reliable and can be
done more
quickly than many other ways I have seen.

Yes, I fed my family on doing backups and disaster recovery for 20+ years
for banks, fortune 500
companies, healthcare groups, and little businesses.  Not the worlds best,
but many worse than
me are out there! :)

The options listed above are a small but rational subset of doing backups.

Personally I used crashplan even though my network to the outside world is
limited.  So I backup
most important things to 'my cloud' (google docs, or amazon, or whatever,
but I do know where
things are) AND I do full data (not system level) backups to on-site disks
on different machines.
On machines I use more heavily, I have external drives and use crashplan to
backup to there
on 15 minute basis.

Is this perfect?  No.  It is adequate for a retiree and spouse.

For hosting things, I do that on someone elses server, and keep a backup on
site (at my
house) for WHEN it gets stomped on by baddies (it has happened more than
once, but
not with my current hosting provider, but they are not a heavily used
sites) and no dynamic
content.

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com>wrote:

> Kent Borg wrote:
> > The term "backup" tends to refer to having historical copies of data,
> > usually with a notable delay in how long it takes to restore the data.
>
> Not necessarily. Depends on the medium used.
>
> > I would suggest that with flash, hardware redundancy (external to
> > whatever proprietary hocus-pocus is already in a flash product) is wise.
> > Something present and immediately bootable.
>
> Repeat after me: redundant disks do not provide data integrity.
>
> Redundant disks -- be they rotating platters or flash chips -- will keep
> the system running if one fails but they won't protect your data from
> corruption or loss.
>
> --
> Rich P.

><> ... Jack

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate" -
Henry J. Tillman
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"a nanosecond is the time it takes electrons to propigate 11.8 inches" - "
- http://youtu.be/JEpsKnWZrJ8
"Life is complex: it has a real part and an imaginary part." - Martin Terma