[Discuss] SSD drives vs. Mechanical drives

Backup strategy depends on usage. That said, a recent backup of your
data will save a lot of headaches and money. And make sure the backup
runs and your backup device is working.
Case 1: Us, the BLU. we had a backup strategy, but it failed because we
made changes to access of the server and we never checked the
consistency of the backup.
Case 2: Myself. I had a nightly backup running. It was a 32-bit machine.
The /home file system was on a separate physical drive and it failed. My
backup was a tarball. But, I had a couple of VMs on that file system,
and tar failed about halfway through. Unfortunately the important data
was on the section of the tarball that tar could not read past. I spent
a few bucks by sending the drive away where they did an excellent recovery.

The issue is that if you do backups and the integrity of your backup is
good, you stand to lose only the data between the backup time and the
failure. Offsite storage of backup data is recommended, especially for a
business. I once worked for a company that had to restate all their
financial records (mostly for the IRS) because a computer operator
mounted the wrong tape and accounting didn't catch the error. But, many
businesses have a legal requirement for data retention. So, in my case,
I just figure out what I will lose in time and data. There are many
excellent backup methods available for Linux, and you can either take
physical media offsite, or use a cloud service if your trust its
security and integrity.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix