[Discuss] linux install on windows 8.1 laptop

    Laura> I'm having trouble.

You'll be happy to know that once I got the right hardware, installing
lubuntu on the new UEFI hardware was no harder than installing it on any
other system.

But why they use the disk partitioner the default install uses, which
does not work, instead of gparted, which works, I have no idea.  At
least they now include the working gparted on the install disk, instead
of making you get it separately.  But it was pretty scary when the junk
one reported that it had wiped windows completely off my disk and been
unable to install Linux.

Admittedly, it then admitted that it coudn't read the partition table,
and that I should use gparted, and dropped me into the linux on the
install disk, which had gparted on the menu.  This is better than the
install on my new computer two years ago, where the install disk also
couldn't partition the drive, but gave no clue as to what to do
instead.  (But I think it didn't also report that it had wiped
everything.)

But if anyone wants Joe Sixpack to be able to install a dual boot
system, thay'll have to do better than that.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org)
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/116029698292079786511>

Strong hope is a much greater stimulant of life than any realized joy
could be.

Nietzsche