[Discuss] DMARC issue, Yahoo and beyond

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 05:07:00PM -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Derek Martin wrote:
> > That should be fine unless the author has already done that.
>
> RFC 2822 is clear on what does not belong...

This response is particularly thoughtless.  I'm well aware of what the
RFC says.  I'm also well aware that there are plenty of times when
RFCs conflict with other RFCs, don't consider all of the possible
cases, or just plain get it wrong.  If that were not the case then no
RFC would ever be updated, ever.

If a mailing list--which is already a special case of e-mail
usage--*ADDS* a reply-to header to an e-mail which matches the from
header of the message, when none previously existed, the net effect is
nil: respondants will (assuming they even honor reply-to, which is not
a guarantee) reply to the same address they would if there were no
reply-to.  It may not strictly conform to the RFC but it is not
problematic.

Standards are important, and good, *when the definition of the
standard is good and sufficient*.  Regardless, blind adherence to
standards (or anything) is folly.

-=-=-=-=-