[Discuss] DMARC issue, Yahoo and beyond

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 08:20:07AM -0400, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2014 14:06:33 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> > On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 02:30:43PM -0400, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> >> (Don't simply say that it's a bad policy...
> >
> > But it IS a bad policy.  It is not the place of the list or the list
> > manager to decide that my tangential response to a poster I know, on
> > an off-topic subject, and content which is not fit for "polite
> > company" belongs on the list.  And it should not make it hard for me
> > to provide such responses, or make it easy for such responses to
> > accidentally end up posted to the list contrary to my expectations.
>
> Here's the use case: a support mailing list for a FOSS project where
> users post questions and issues. [...]

I'm familiar with the use case.  There are two solutions:

1. The developer in question can set his sender address to the list
   address, if that is his biggest concern (and I agree it's a valid
   concern).  If you do this, you should (IMO) include a footer in
   your messages that says that you have, to at least give the poster
   a chance to decide that replying to the list is not what is wanted.

2. Suck it up.  See above.

Users generally have an expectation that replying to a person will
send a response to that person's address, and reply-to is a rarely
used feature that breaks this expectation.  I'd venture a guess that
more than 50% of all e-mail users don't even know about it...  Using
it should be avoided, except when it's really necessary.

-=-=-=-=-