[Discuss] TrueCrypt EOL, what's next?

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Rich Braun
>
> Today's news that TrueCrypt is effectively end-of-lifed makes me wonder:  is

It looks like a hack to me, and not actual EOL.  They say so many bat-shit crazy things on their website right now:

"The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP."
Which makes absolutely no sense.  As if Truecrypt was in some way connected to Win XP.

And "Windows 8/7/Vista and later offer integrated support for encrypted disks" which is just simply factually incorrect.

And Truecrypt's claim to fame have primarily consisted of deniability, which the above don't do anyway.  And Truecrypt FAQ has always discounted the TPM, on which the above are dependent.

None of it adds up.  I don't buy it.  I think it's a thorough hack, and nothing more.  Which will go away soon.

The other plausible explanation I've seen is that they are committing a lavabit-esque suicide under coercion of a government agency.  I have a bet with my coworker.  He's betting coercion suicide, I'm betting hoax.