[Discuss] network connection

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM, j. daniel Moylan <jdmoylan at gmail.com> wrote:
> i was off in maine for a few days, messed around with my network
> connections unsuccessfully and am now home in brookline and am unable to
> connect, with no idea as to what i may have screwed up.
>
> running xubuntu 14.04 oa asus aspire 1.
>
> /etc/network/interfaces looks ok, NetworkManager is running as well as
> nm-applet.
> ifconfig shows the computer on 192.168.1.100 which is where it is supposed
> to be, route shows the asus router as the default gateway.
>
> i can ping myself at 192.168.1.100 but not the router at 192.168.1.1

Are you doing this wired or wireless?    Can you try wired if only for testing?

If you have the "arp" command (available in net-tools package) installed, see
if your system is successfully getting the Ethernet address of the router.
Alternatively, you can just "cat /proc/net/arp" to get more or less
the same info.

Do a "netstat -rn" and see if it looks okay.

If you have wireshark or tcpdump installed use them to see if any
packets are entering
or leaving your system via whatever interface you are trying to get
active.  As you fiddle
with the config/ping the router, leave wireshark/tcpdump running so
you can see if you
elicit any packets.

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad