[Discuss] Https - the solution to net neutrality and ISP monopolies

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu)
<blu at nedharvey.com> wrote:
> So I got to thinking, could encryption be used to circumvent greedy ISP's systematically?  If everything were encrypted and unidentifiable, then the only thing they could do would be to throttle *all* the traffic, not just the big content distributors that they want to shake down.  Then, the slow service would be recognizable to end users for what it is - a crippled internet connection, and not a deficiency of Netflix, Youtube, etc.

Traffic analysis (who is talking to who, when, and how often)
apparently works really well for three letter agencies even when they
can't read the actual messages due to encryption.   Given that your
local ISP doesn't care which movie you are watching, just that it is
coming from Netflix; I don't think encryption would help that much.
They will still have the IP address of the source of that
huge packet flow as well as the identity of the network provider over
which it is coming.

I suspect that if we still allowed source routing of IP packets, that
would have been sufficient to solve your problem.  (No encrypted VPN
required.)   From everything I've read, the residential ISPs have
simply refused to allow connections to their networks of sufficient
size from the network providers that Netflix and others use.   The
result is packet loss and poor streaming.   When you use a VPN, the
traffic flow came onto your ISPs network via a physical connection
which isn't directly associated with Netflix.   Those connections get
upgraded as required when congestion becomes a problem.   The
"filtering" isn't done by IP address, but instead at the network
interconnect level.   Cheaper to implement and more plausible
deniability.

As for Netflix switching to a CDN (like Akamai), you are basically
suggesting that Akamai is so big that your ISP would have to upgrade
their connectivity whenever the link to the CDN became congested.
I'm not sure I like the idea of some other large company ending up in
a position to potentially dictate terms to content providers.   In any
case, I recall that Netflix did use CDNs (including Akamai) for a
while.   I believe they phased that out as they got bigger and felt
they could do it more cheaply themselves.   Switching back to CDNs
would undoubtedly be more expensive and I'm sure that your ISP would
set things up so it was $1 cheaper to pay the ISP directly then go
through a CDN.   In any case, as I understand it, even CDNs the size
of Akamai frequently pay to connect with various large networks just
so they don't have these kinds of problems.   This gets passed along
to their customers.   Exactly what Netflix is trying to avoid.

Bill Bogstad