[Discuss] any decent NTFS implementations for Linux?

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
> [slow ntfs-3g filesystem performance]

>Use FAT32 to share. Or, if you use Windows infrequently, use a Windows ext4 driver.

FAT32 has a 2TB filesystem limit.   THE USB drive in question is 4TB.

>NTFS-3G is recommended mount option per SystemRescueCD when repairing Password and Registry files, so i take that as being the 'good' recommendation.

If all you want to do is read/write a few small files NTFS-3g is
probably fine.   I'm looking for decent performance here.

It seems that what I had thought I had discovered is true.   There
isn't a decent free NTFS filesystem implementation for Linux.   The
authors of ntsfs-3g
also have a commercial product called Tuxera NTFS which is apparently
available for purchase if you are an embedded systems manufacturer.
If you are just a small
time user, there is nothing out there.   Given the vendor reported
huge performance difference between ntfs-3g and Tuxera NTFS, it would
seem that ntfs-3g would be ripe for forking the code; but I guess
nobody with the skills cares enough about free NTFS performance for
Linux to bother.

Bill Bogstad