[Discuss] Looking for WiFi router with certain characteristics

How much RF interference do these things generate?

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces+joe=polcari.com at blu.org
[mailto:discuss-bounces+joe=polcari.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Ronan
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 9:35 AM
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Looking for WiFi router with certain characteristics

While it may not meet your needs, another alternative often worth
considering when trying to extent coverage in a building like
that would be Powerline equipment, such as: this pair of
Asoka Pluglink devices
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221257888711?lpid=82 that would cost
you close to $25 total including shipping.
I have a couple like that (not sure if it's precisely the same
model) in operation in an old Victorian and am pleased with the
results.
     - S.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014, Jim Gasek wrote:

> MBR:
>
> Regarding "COVERAGE"  (RF signal strength):
>
> The obvious answer, easy for me b/c I built my house with CAT5 in the
walls,
> home-runs to basement, is to have multiple (hard wired, in my case)
> wifi routers throughout the house.  I have one in the basement Comm room,
> and another in the upstairs bedroom.
>
> In your worst case, you could hardwire one in the North and South corners
> of the basement, for example.   Or pop a hole up to the first floor
> in a couple spots.
>
> Remember the "donut shaped" energy field off each antenna, and point
> appropriately.
>
> I use hardwired where I can, off the wifi router.   The rest of the
> family, with ipads and smartphones need wireless.
>
> Even with no wires at all, you can do (less effective, but...) at least
> I think you can do radio to radio wifi routers.  Called mesh?   Never
> needed to do myself.
>
> ----
>
> I've been told, but not positive, that the radio sections of wifi routers
> seem to crap out over time, especially "consumer grade" products.
> Maybe just salesman folklore.
>
> There used to be a Linksys "power pack" type thing that boosted the
> RF signal, up to IETF RF signal limits.   No opinion there.  I'd guess
> all manufacturers tend to build today up to maximum power limits?
>
> And there are a plethora of directional antennas.  I found them
> cost prohibitive, and too much trouble.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Gasek

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228687/Linksys_firmware_upgrade_for_
Wi_Fi_routers_angers_some_users,

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/132142-ciscos-cloud-vision-mandatory-mo
netized-and-killed-at-their-discretion

>    Even though they eventually changed their policy, they have reserved
>    the right to change it back, and also the right to change how your
>    router works, EVEN IF YOU SET IT NOT TO ACCEPT AUTOMATIC UPDATES.
>
>    I will never again in my life trust anything Cisco/Linksys says or
>    have anything to do with any of their equipment.
>
>    ASUS: The next router I've been considering is the ASUS RT-N66U.
>    But Googling for that model turned up the following articles:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/dear-asus-router-user-youve-been-pwn
ed-thanks-to-easily-exploited-flaw
>    http://nullfluid.com/asusgate.txt,

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/zeroday/2014/02/05/so-this-is-what-getting-pwne