[Discuss] Looking for WiFi router with certain characteristics

On 7/30/2014 8:08 PM, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 9:14 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/28/2014 9:00 PM, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
>>> All interfaces connected to the Ethernet or two wireless networks end up
>>> on the same subnet (192.168.0.x).
>> I'm figuring you don't have this but instead you have a second
>> 192.168.0.0/24 network inside your primary internal network. The Edimax
>> isn't a bridge but a second firewall/gateway with its own private
>> 192.168.0.0/24 network that's isolated from your primary internal network.
>
> Actually like many such devices these days, it seems like how you can
> use the the
> Edimax is dependent on software configuration.   By default, devices
> like this typically
> come up in wi-fi router mode.    According to the manual located here:
>
> http://www.edimax.com/edimax/mw/cufiles/files/download/manual/transfer/Wireless/BR-6228nS_nC_V2/BR-6228nS_V2_nC_V2_Manual.pdf
>
> it can be put into: Wi-Fi Router, Access Point, and Range Extender
> modes.   Which it is in depends on software
> configuration and how the Edimax physically connects to the rest of
> your network.  It might be a good idea to verify
> that the device is correctly configured.
>
> Bill Bogstad

"... verify that the device is correctly configured..."

Ok, so how should the device be configured?  It's reporting that it's
configured as an "access point".  Unfortunately, the documentation
doesn't go into a great deal of detail about what each mode does.  It
makes me think that "markw at mohawksoft.com" is right, just get a router
that DD-WRT supports, so one knows what one is getting.

But to review, my configuration is this:

   |-------------------|   Ethernet     |----------------|
   | Actiontec V1000H  |----------------|  Edimax N150   |
   | router            |                | 192.168.0.20   |
   |  192.168.0.1      |                |----------------|
   |-------------------|                   |      |   |
      |           |                        |      |   |    Wireless Ch 2
      | Ethernet  | Wireless Ch 9          |      |   |
     PC 1         |                     Printer   |  PC 3
   192.168.0.12   |                   192.168.0.8 | 192.168.0.15
                  |                               |
                PC 2                             PC 4
             192.168.0.14                    192.168.0.18

PC3 can access the Actiontec's browser configuration page
PC3 can access the Edimax's browser configuration page
PC3 can ping PC1
PC2 cannot access the printer, and ping fails
PC3 can access Samba shares on PC 4
PC3 can access Windows shares on PC1
PC2 cannot ping PC4
PC2 cannot access the Edimax browser page, nor ping its advertised
192.168.0.20 address

All connections to the Printer, PC3, PC4 from the Edimax are over wireless.

All PCs IP addresses are shown in the Actiontec status page (the
Actiontec is the DHCP server for the network), except for Edimax's IP
address.

That's not quite what I'd expect from "access point" mode.  I think it's
a flaw in the Edimax.  It should repeat any packets it receives over its
other wireless and Ethernet connections.

For access point mode, the instructions are to connect the cable from
the Actiontec to one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port.  Yes, I've
checked that again.