[Discuss] wiki suggestion?

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Eric Chadbourne <eric.chadbourne at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 07/31/2014 07:13 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Any suggestions for a wiki?  Requirements are PHP, MySQL, and must be
>> extensible as I might have to tie it in with other systems.  Maybe about
>> 100 users.  Open source strongly preferred.
>>
>> The only wiki I've ever really used is wikipedia.  :p
>>
>> Thanks for any tips!
>>

> If it had a ticketing system plugin or something that would be a bonus as
> well.
>
> Thanks again,
> Eric

If your environment supports Python, then you should check out "Trac"
http://trac.edgewall.org/.  It's a wiki plus so-called "project management"
system because it integrates a ticketing system, plus adds source browsing
(because it hooks into your svn and/or git VCS).  I don't think the wiki
portion of Trac is nearly as powerful or extensible as MediaWiki, but it's
a great "all-in-one" solution.  The ticketing is not as powerful as OTRS (
http://www.otrs.com/software/open-source/) and others, but again it's
integrated right out of the gate.

On the other hand, especially since you mention PHP as a requirement,
MediaWiki is the engine behind Wikipedia, and very popular (roughly 50,000
wikis counting conservatively) as an internal intranet and knowledge base,
publishing platform and documentation system so there's a good chance some
of your people are familiar with it. Written in PHP, MediaWiki can be
extended (with thousands of extensions) to include ticketing, however it's
a more "roll-your-own" approach (e.g.
http://ryandlane.com/blog/2010/04/01/creating-a-simple-ticketing-system-with-semantic-mediawiki/).
 MediaWiki has a full API that offers integration with external
applications for cases where existing extensions do not fit.

eQuality Technology specializes in MediaWiki implementations, and we add
several extensions plus customization to make the system a better fit for
corporate needs.

If you're trying to compare, do check out http://www.wikimatrix.org/

Best,

Greg